This is the story of a love affair. The title is based on the purported nickname William Randolph Hearst used for the clitoris of his mistress Marion Davies.

Follow this blog

Wednesday 30 July 2008

Unchanging

The masks come off at midnight.
I am revealed,
braw in cramassy”,
a scarlet sentinel'
my pen an unsheathed sword,
weaving a basket of light around us,
protecting you from all comers.

Where are your ass’s ears now, my heart?
The light from the street stripes me like a tiger.
The roar of a car echoes the image.

The night passes slowly.
There is truce in the war between us,
between the mannish woman and the womanly man.

My balls are scrotum-tight in flight-or-fight mode.
I shall be who I am.

This shape is my only shape.
The sexual warrior, peacemaker, lover.
Three-in-one.
Shapeshift me how you may,
this is an eternal truth.

I see a rainbow in your eyes.

July 30, 2008, 1.15pm

“Braw in cramassy,” brave in scarlet, a description of Mars in Hugh McDiarmid’s Bonnie Broukit Bairn:

Mars is braw in crammasy,
Venus in a green silk goun,
The auld mune shaks her gowden feathers,
Their starry talk's a wheen o blethers,
Nane for thee a thochtie sparin'

Earth thou bonnie broukit bairn!
- But greet, an in your tears ye'll droun
- The hail clanjamfrie!

Broukit” means heartbroken – appropriate in this context.

No comments: